Football, Writing and the Tale of the Soggy Middle

Hello fellow Writers & Friends πŸ™‚ I hope everyone had a good weekend.

As some of you know-or may not know-I’m a huge football fan- and yes I had a great weekend because my Detroit Lions won their first game since December 23, 2007- yes that was a 7 at the end. Go LIONS!

Michigan also won- they are now 4-0, and I beat my Heads Up Fantasy Football dude to make me 3-0 in my league!

Since I love football and writing, it’s only natural to find some similarities. Such as, a clear beginning, middle and end, like a story. There are sub-plots, injuries, challenges etc.

However, what I have the most trouble with is the middle. In football- this is where the game sometimes lags- personally I like the 4th quarter- gets my blood pumping! Just as the end to my story does. Problem is- it’s already written… so I need to add some bulk to the middle- add some challenges, injuries.

I’m curious to see what everyone else has added as bulk to their drafts? Or does it all just flow out your fingers with feverish fluidity? (Love that line!- Christmas Story is one of the best for quotable lines- don’t ya think?)

Monday again– I hope this week goes quick. I did get 2,700 words written this weekend. Bonus.

Happy Monday Everyone- Hope it goes quick for you too.

11 Responses to β€œFootball, Writing and the Tale of the Soggy Middle”

1. Middles are tough. I always try to introduce a new conflict to keep things interesting. And, congrats on your word count this weekend.

Great word count – I’ll look forward to reading those!

Conflict is always the driving force in a good story, IMO. That’s what I try to keep moving, and a wise person suggested a sub-plot or two this weekend, so I think that will help quite a bit. πŸ™‚

3. EriCan says:

Susan-I agree that’s probably what I need to do. Thank you for the kudos. It helped that the hubs was playing poker on Saturday πŸ˜‰

Jamie-I agree conflict is key πŸ™‚ Aw, well that wise person *may* know a thing or two- I guess we’ll find out πŸ˜‰

I think I’ll try and brainstorm some conflicts- Nice idea ladies πŸ™‚

4. Iapetus999 says:

It’s a pretty good analogy actually, but not every football game. It’s a game that starts out with a couple easy scores, but then the other team regains the lead by halftime. They come out and dominate the third quarter, and by the fourth quarter, the crowd starts heading out. Looks like the game’s over. Then…

I’ll let you finish it.
    Now here’s how you “pump up” the conflict:
    drag the quarterback off the field in a stretcher right before halftime. Have coach ejected for arguing with the umps who have been obviously paid off. Let the weather turn ugly. Make it an away game so the crowd starts throwing batteries or snowballs (seen both myself). Decimate the starters with injuries so that the untested rookies have to step in. Hold the star’s girlfriend hostage unless he fixes the game. Make terrorists wire the stadium to explode unless the game ends before 4:00 (football meets Speed). No timeouts, no huddles, etc.

5. EriCan says:

Hi Andrew,
    Thanks for the ideas. You are so right. I too have been to those games where you think it’s over and then… LOL— too many with the Lions– always the other team of course that wins… until yesterday πŸ™‚

I get your point. I guess I just need to add some more issues πŸ™‚ Thanks for the advice. I think I’m going to start at the beginning and weave some good conflict in there.
    By the way- that book you described? I would totally read that and see it on the screen. Better get started πŸ˜‰

6. Gabby says:

The analogy is great and so are all the ideas on progressing through the middle. I’m going to have to incorporate some of this into my own work and see how that helps the middle develop.

Great word count – keep it up!

7. EriCan says:

Hi Gabby,
    Thanks I think a lot of analogies can be found in just about everything and how it relates to writing.

Thanks for the kudos on the word count and good luck on your WIP πŸ™‚

8. Matt says:

My goodness! A Lions fan and a writer? You seem to be made to suffer. Are you catholic as well? I just discovered your blog and as a former Detroiter trying to be a novelist I’m enjoying it.

9. EriCan says:

Hi Matt,
    Welcome! Yes I am a self masochist apparently πŸ˜‰ Ah a michigander. I take it you got out of here. I hope you were able to go somewhere warmer!

I’m enjoying the novel thing myself. What genre do you write?

10. Matt says:

I moved to Florida some years ago. Believe it or not I’d like to move back to Michigan. As you read on my blog, I’ve written middle grade adventure, but I have other ideas. I don’t want to stuck in one genre. I have an idea for a story about a guy who falls in love with a nun. Not exactly for kids.

11. EriCan says:

Sounds cool. You want to come back? Wow. I don’t hear that a lot from people who are in the warmth. I started writing mysteries, but have ventured off into fantasy/sci fi as of late, and I love it.

Interesting premise, falling in love with a nun…