The Gateway to Purgatory is by the Big Gulps…

I read a lot of blogs (as do ya’ll, I’m sure) and I’ve noticed something… Some are written more eloquently than others. Now wait… That doesn’t mean that they are better, just something I noticed. Yeah, like mine is eloquent… Ha!

There are many different types out there. Some blogs: use bullets, have a lot of paragraphs, use pictures, are short, longer, some are more serious, some are strange… and you know what?

I love them all, just as they are… (Bridget Jones anyone?) Insert “Awww.”

So. I’m sure all of our writing is different too. Just like our posts.

My writing is similar to my posts, but I have to tell you, it’s definitely not the same. I watch my words very carefully in my stories. I’m sure my voice comes through in my posts and thus comes through in my stories, but there’s more than that… It’s the choice of words, dialogue and places that really make a voice unique.

For example: I chose to make the portal to Purgatory in my NaNo story, “Snow’s Falling,” at the 7-11, I mean, why not right?

So what does that mean about me? LOL! Don’t answer that.

I’m not sure someone else would choose that local, but it popped in my head and was perfect. They are in most places in the US, so it works, and who would expect that the portal to Purgatory would be there next to the Big Gulps and Slushy machine?

So… I’m wondering. What makes your voice unique and do you write like you post?

I only have a half day at work tomorrow! I’m so geeked. Just had to share- by the time some of you read this, my half day will be over, but oh well πŸ™‚

Enjoy your Wednesday!

Image courtesy of: discohirephilippines.blogspot.com/

30 Responses to β€œThe Gateway to Purgatory is by the Big Gulps…”

1. Annarkie says:

7-11, I LOVE it! I kinda pictured it to be either in the locker room of a jumior high school or a Walmart. LOL.

Thanks Annarkie and welcome πŸ™‚

Those are great ideas as well. I’ll need some places for Hell’s portal in my current WIP, those would work!

3. I am not yet quite sure that I know my voice. In certain passages in my story, I can clearly see it. But it’s not quite as a clear cut to me through the whole novel, as it is in blog.

Blog is directly my voice. It’s pretty much how I would talk, or write an email etc.

4. Jen says:

This proves my long-standing theory that there’s nothing a Big Gulp can’t cure. πŸ™‚

I’m a huge blog reader too but I’ve found that, for the most part, writers write better books than blog posts. After all, no one is going to put aside a blog post for three weeks before editing it.

5. Gabby says:

My blog reflects my writing in that the posts are usually short (I tend to write very sparse first drafts that are sorely lacking on word count). However, my voice is not evident in my blog posts at this point – but it’s there in my manuscript. I should probably start incorporating it to my posts.

6. Natalie says:

I love your conversational tone on the blog. I feel like your just chatting with me.

I don’t think my writing is that much like my blog posting. I am not eloquent either place but I’m a lot tighter (way less adverbs and adjectives) and better verbs when I’m writing a novel than when I’m writing a blog post.

7. I think 7-11 is a great idea! If the Circle K worked for Bill & Ted… (not that I’m discouraging you, it just made me think of it, and that was back in time, not Purgatory).

I much prefer blogs that are conversational in tone, so I write mine that way. My blog is in MY voice (duh) but I don’t think it sounds like my writing.

8. Adam says:

My blog is written how I speak, pretty much. Occasionally unnecessarily wordy, and heavy on the sarcasm. πŸ˜‰

My stories are similar, but a little more understated. Kinda like diet Adam. πŸ˜€

Adam

LOL “Diet Adam”. Love it! πŸ™‚

Interesting question, Erica. I had to go back and read some of my own posts, and then some of my fiction before I could answer. I do think my fiction has a different flavor than my blog posts, even though my voice is mine either way. My blog posts are conversational and often rambling (with plenty of parenthetical statements – much like I speak), while I go into more formal “narrator” mode with my fiction. I think.

Actually, as my crit partner you’d probably be able to tell better than me.

You know I have to answer your question too – choosing a 7-11 for the portal to purgatory says you’re fun and not afraid to think outside the box. Both of which are completely true. πŸ™‚

10. Matt says:

Heavens no. If I wrote like I blogged I wouldn’t deserve to be published. Not that I have been. When blogging, I write, check the spelling, and then post. No second thoughts. Well. No thirds.

I’m trying to write a ghost story to post for Halloween. I guess we’ll see then how different my blogging is from my writing.

11. I love the 7-11 portal thing. It’s making me laugh. All the teenagers hang out at our 7-11 because it’s close to the high school. I can picture your story already.

12. Exactly, if we were all the same, how boring would life be?! I tell my kids this all the time but it’s hard to remember.
    I was feeling a little bit low since reading DiCamillo’s new book. Like I could live up to that! We have to be ourselves and be different.
    Thanks for the reminder! And, love the 7-11!

13. My blob is me. My stories…?
    Depends on what I’m writing. If I’m telling a story from the 1800’s, then the story teller and all the different characters (dialogue) need to reflect that. From educated to psudo-educated to folksy. Whatever THEIR voice is. If my story is set in 2009 in the city with professionals and wackos alike, they have their voice. That guy you read yesterday (the story part) was him…not me. A character with a voice. Do I use my trumpet on this tune or my flugelhorn?
    Great question!

Thanks guys. I’ll comment tonight when I get home- been crazy at work today!

Having worked in a convenience store once upon a time, I have to agree that the 7/11 is the perfect portal to Purgatory.

Now Hell, on the other hand . . . I’d suggest using a call centre as a portal to Hell, but the security would make it kind of inconvenient. Plus call centres are like Hell’s waiting room to begin with. πŸ™‚

16. melane says:

My blog posts sound like I would talk to you, but my story that I’m working on is more serious in tone.

I love the 7-11 idea! I never would have thought of that one.

LW- Voice can be a tricky thing. Yeah it’s safe to say most people’s blogs are probably their voice πŸ™‚

Jen-LOL, for sure! That’s true, I only edit my blog posts a small amount- as you’ve probably noticed…LOL

Gabby- I write short first drafts too. I’m sure your voice is in there somewhere?

Natalie- Why thank you πŸ™‚ Ah, tighter, that’s a good way to put it. Yeah that makes total sense that they are different.

Melanie- Thanks! Oh yeah, you know I forgot about Bill & Ted’s! So funny. Yeah I’ve noticed that about your blog too, like mine πŸ™‚

Adam- LOL diet Adam- I love it. Oh Sarcasm- I would be nothing without you…

Jamie- Thank you. I thought it might be interesting too. I love that you went back and checked- too funny. I think your blog and your writing are similar, both with your voice. I could see it there.

Aw. thanks. I’m glad you think I’m fun πŸ™‚ and that I think outside the box. Let’s hope the readers like that πŸ™‚

Matt- Oh I don’t think that’s true- your dialogue is really great. Oooo can’t wait to read the story πŸ™‚

Susan- Thanks, I hope it works with the story πŸ™‚ Well I’ll make it work, right? LOL That’s good, makes it believable- sadly we don’t have a lot of them here, can’t think of one right now.

Jennifer- That is so true- it would be really boring. Yeah sometimes it’s hard to read other books. I’m sure we all think that sometimes πŸ™‚ Enjoy those Big Gulps.

Dave- Thanks! Yeah, for sure, the dialogue and language most definitely needs to be the characters. I think though when I make choices about what happens that speaks worlds about my voice. I liked your story- interesting.

CR- LOL- You’re too funny. OMG you are so right- I worked in a call center for 9 long months, I agree it is Hell on Earth in there.

Melane- Thanks! That’s something I need to work on is my serious voice. I’m sure it comes out corny as hell.

22. Portals at the 7-11? Awesome. I love the random.

I think if I had to choose a spot for a portal I might go with the dressing room at Anthropologie. My credit card bills would surely suffer.

23. Georgina says:

I think I write like I blog and blog like I write – except when it concerns work-work. Then I have to fill my writing up with big, boring, obnoxious words. Bleh. – G

G- I know what you mean about work writing- it’s totally different πŸ™‚ I definitely have the same tendencies in both blogging and writing.

25. Iapetus999 says:

I definitely don’t write like I blog. My writing is much more interesting (I hope).

Andrew- Your posts are still interesting πŸ™‚ but I’m sure your writing is too!

27. Variety is the spice of life. Despite the personal preferences that lead us each to prefer certain styles, life would be infinitely boring if those certain styles were the only ones that existed!

K.M._ Well said. I totally agree πŸ™‚

29. Matt says:

Erica, be sure to stop by my blog. Since you’re one of my biggest cheerleaders I gave you an award.

Aw. Matt. Thanks! I’m on my way πŸ™‚