Da Brain Power of Others

Greetings from 28,025 words,

I had the distinct pleasure of having a fabulous brainstorming session with a reader friend of mine. I can’t tell you how valuable those few minutes were to my story.

She gave me a whole new outlook on what it could become– and let’s face it, when we’re talking about our stories, we get all giddy, like fan girls at a Twilight premier… (oh one can wish *sigh*)

Well– with her help- I’ve been able to see to the end of my NaNo draft and the next couple books after that- looks like a series alert folks! Of course, my Crit Partner Jamie, was essential to the brainstorming of this draft as well, and I can’t wait to have her read it :o)

On the humor tip: So this blog feeds into my facebook account– right there on the right side column there– and I tagged my mom to read my excerpt. If you missed the teaser I posted it’s Here. Well her comment was– *sorry I’m still snickering*

Mom: Why are so many children freaked out about their parents having sex??!? I don’t mind that mine did. I actually did LOL at this line: I was mortified and may never see again.

Me: It’s gross mom! Plus this character is 17, so you tell me, would she feel that way…LOL Glad you liked that line πŸ™‚ Thanks for reading.

Mom: Actually I wasn’t worried about my parents’ sex life, I worried about mine! And you’re not 17.

And… now you know what I’ve had to deal with… gotta love her.

In honor of New Moon tomorrow- and because I’m going to go fangirl and wear my Team Edward shirt (I know- you don’t need to say it- I totally know how lame I am) *sorry boys*

Here you go!

So, do you ever brainstorm with non-writers? and how do your brainstorming sessions take place- what have you learned?

Hope everyone is having a great week. :O)

13 Responses to β€œDa Brain Power of Others”

1. Georgina says:

I love brainstorming. It doesn’t matter what the subject is, I just love the energy that gets generated, the freedom to just go way out there and come up with wild and crazy ideas. You can always pull it back later. I wish I could get a job as a professional brainstormer. That would be a fun gig! – G

Occasionally I’ll ask my husband what he thinks someone would do/how they’d feel in a situation… “Hey, do you think it would hurt if someone slit your throat with a knife, or would it be more of a tugging sensation, if the knife was really sharp?” That sort of thing. LOL He gets a kick out of it, and doesn’t think I’m crazy.

Other than that though, I brainstorm with online friends (and you Erica, of course), but hardly any of my offline friends are readers or writers, so they aren’t really interested in hearing about what I write. Or helping me plot murders/suspense scenes. Weird.

G- I love it too, really gets the senses perked up πŸ™‚ I think you’d be a great professional brainstormer, I’m sure there is something like that out there πŸ˜‰

Jamie- I ask my hubs stuff like that too, he does think I’m crazy though– Nah just kidding… I have a lot of reader friends, it’s nice to get their opinion too. I can loan mine to you. I’m sure they would be all over it!

4. melane says:

I’ve never brainstormed with my non-writing friends. I’ll have to give it a try now that I’m “outing” myself as a writer:)

5. Nope, I brainstorm only within my own head, or sometimes out loud to myself, but just little old me.

The thing is I don’t actually discuss my writing at all. In fact, with the exception of close friends and family, most people that I see in daily life don’t even know that I am a writer. I take this as my personal dream (except for the whole bloody Internet announcement of course) that I will discuss when I am published.

In the meantime, I enjoy sharing it with other writers who understand the process, the joys and the grief of it all.

6. I’m pretty solitary. I’ve heard some names of some ‘writers’ around here (only 1200 full time residents up here) but have not met them. And from my take of what I’ve been told they write about…we would have nothing in common about writing. I’ll tell my wife a line or too and she’s either not interested or just likes to not offer infulence. Can’t tell and I guess it dosen’t matter. She read the first six pages of my 32,000 words so far and said, “I’ll read it when you finish it”. Better that way all in all.

7. Ha, your mom is hilarious. That’s awesome she’s so open.

I’ve really only done brainstorming via email but I have one writer friend/crit partner who’s really helped me with some issues. I dream about the day I live near other writers.

Woot Jacob.

melane- Yeah go for it! Ya never know? LOL

LW- Well when they find out I’m sure it will be a great time! I enjoy sharing with the writers too, they know stuff that readers just don’t. It’s such a blessing.

Dave- Nice wife πŸ™‚ We all have different ways to figure all this out, and that’s a good thing, what works for one may not work for another πŸ˜‰

Mel- Thanks πŸ™‚ She’s something else alright…

That’s wonderful that you’ve found a good crit writer, invaluable for sure. I dream about that for you too. Ya know- I’m much more of a Jacob fan now that I saw the movie… but always Team Edward πŸ˜‰

10. Tom Bailey says:

I have writers that brainstorm with me. We use a whiteboard and listen to classical music and start the brainstorm at about 10 or 11 at night and go until we are exhausted with ideas. 4 people and myself.

We end up getting about 10 to 20 ideas for each person.

Tom- That sounds like a great way to do it! I bet you get a lot of great ideas :O)

12. Brainstorming with non-writers is great when I need a cheerleader but when I really need to work out the serious kinks it would be nice to have a few writer buddies to bounce ideas off of.

I’m, well a old and I still think sex and parents in the same sentence is gross. Call me juvenile. lol

Girl- I know what you mean. I think it’s gross too! Writing that scene was not a fun task, but alas- it had to be done!! LOL

I agree writer buddies are important. My crit partner is great, and her advice and comments are extremely helpful πŸ™‚ True non-writers are great cheerleaders. I like to talk to the big readers, they usually have some cool ideas too!

:o)