50,004 words, roughly 225 pages!

Whew– what a long month that was. But as the cool orange, black and white pic indicates. I did indeed win. Actually I won a couple of days early, which was something I didn’t think would happen!

So– in honor of this momentous occasion. I would like to list the ten things I’ve learned about this most awesome of contests.

1. I can write faster than I thought.

2. I use the word, “had” a lot– need to nip that one in the bud (butt?) though.

3. I like action and dialogue the most. You will find nae a description in this draft.

4. One can survive on 4 hours of sleep and a 40 an hour week job.

5. I’ve learned how to pad words and dialogue to make it stretch out. (not necessarily a good thing, but came in handy this time.)

6. I am able to write every day, even if it’s with words I wouldn’t wipe my butt with.

7. The writing community has some of the nicest people in it. I got a lot of encouragement every step of the way :o)

8. Editing is a great thing and my story needs a lot of it!

9. Music helps me write better and Genius on itunes is well– genius.

10. I am a writer. I will try my darnedest to make this work!

I’ve probably learned a lot more, but that’s the just of it. So– how did you all fellow NaNoers fare? Did ya learn anything valuable? And for those that did not participate– how is your WIP going?

This blog has gained a few followers these past couple weeks. Just wanted to give a– what’s up to the newbies. Also a big thanks to the regulars, semi-regulars and the visitors for stickin’ with me. Glad you’re here.

Have a great Sunday everyone!

21 Responses to “50,004 words, roughly 225 pages!”

I like number 10. That needs to be my attitude more of the time. :O)

2. Congratulations!! You did it!

Question: did you get to the end of the story, or do you still have more you’ll have to write to finish?

Last year I wrote 63K in November and the draft is now 92K. Just curious.

Finally, I think it’s “bud”, as in, to stop something before it grows into a larger problem.

3. Adam says:

Congratulations, Erica. 🙂

Thanks to my recent novella sale, my NaNoWriMo turned into a NaNoEdiMo. Still, productivity is productivity. 🙂

Adam

Diane- Me too- it takes the most work out of those!

Mel- Thank you :o) Actually, the story is not finished yet. I would say about 2/3 the way through. Hard to tell. Wow- 63K that is impressive!!

Bud huh? I thought that might be it…LOL :O)

Adam- Thanks! Hey you’re right- as long as you’re doing something toward your goal :o) Congrats on the sale of your novella!!

6. melane says:

Congrats on winning NaNo! That is a wonderful accomplishment.

I didn’t participate this year. I figured I’d just be setting myself up for failure, since I have a very clingy 16 month old. But I’m just over 25,000 words in my WIP now:)

7. Erica,

Congratulations! I knew you could do it. 🙂 I learned quite a few similar things as you. And glad to say that I finished my first draft today, so my official win registered today as well.

8. Georgina says:

Congratulations! I love your list of self-reflections. If we can’t learn anything after such a big project, then what’s the point? If we aren’t learning in the process then it’s just the Ego writing, not our authentic selves. Way to go! – G

melane- Thank you! Wow, sounds like you have a lot on your plate. Don’t blame ya there! Congrats on your word count :o)

LW- Aw. Thank you :o) Congrats on your wonderful finish as well!

G- Thanks! It was definitely a learning experience! It’s true, learning is an important thing when writing, especially with something like this in such a short period of time :o)

I hope this draft is a good one!

11. I overuse “that”. Way to go on your word count! Amazing!

Thanks Bethany! Yeah “that” is a hard one to stop using!

13. Congratulations! Way to go.

Excellent observations, and many congrats. 🙂 You did great, and I’m sure it will keep going well as you work on it.

Redundant words are the bane of my existence. And towards the end, just plain bad/cheesy phrasing too. But hey, gotta have something to edit, right? 😉

Thanks Susan :o) It was a long month!!

Jamie- Thank you! I hope to keep going, but I’m going to read a book for a couple of days, then delve back in :o)

LOL- Yep I know whatcha mean- I got really cheesy toward the end too. And used the word walked and looked many times!

16. Angela says:

Congrats! What a great feeling, hey?

Thanks Angela! It is a great feeling indeed :o)

Congrats on your NaNo win! Now comes the fun part – editing! 🙂

I love your list. That’s one of the best parts of NaNo, the things we learn.

CR- Thank you! It was quite the trip…LOL I don’t mind editing. I think that’s where the real writing really comes out!

I am glad it’s only once a year ;o)

20. Iapetus999 says:

Nice!

I learned that it’s just as important to work on the end of a story as the beginning….and the middle is even more important.

So true Andrew, so true. Congrats on your win too!!