My Story Sounds Like That?

Greetings from the sheet of ice that is Michigan!

Well, I’ve been off this week and have had time to think a lot… I know – can you believe it? Ha

Well I’m revising my NaNo draft…. fun stuff, I have to tell ya. Well my sis is staying with me here for the week since I’m off. Inevitably, she asked about my story. I told her it was still in first draft mode – so barely unreadable. She didn’t care, she wanted to read it. Well she reads kind of slow – gets distracted and such. So I offered to read her a few paragraphs, so she could get an idea of the story…

Before I knew it… I was reading it out-loud to her. Who knew? She loved it. She said it was like hearing a book on tape. It was exhausting for me, but reading it out-loud, which, some twitter friends have suggested, really helped. And although I have some serious revision to do, I think it’s on its way. And the good thing, is my sis is an avid reader and a young adult, so I value her opinion.

Who knew my vacation would yield such an epiphany. Reading it out-loud does help, especially with the dialogue.

So, how do you revise? Do you read your drafts out-loud?

pic courtesy of web.gccaz.edu/…/assignment3revising.htm
Copyrights belong to Charles Schulz, but that is the website I found with it.

27 Responses to “My Story Sounds Like That?”

Ha! I knew you’d like it, once you started…

I don’t read aloud when I’m just working on plot & structure, but for line-editing, nothing beats reading sentences out loud for really understanding exactly what it was you put on the page (or what you didn’t). And it’s such a simple thing…

Enjoy the rest of your vacation! 🙂

Thanks Jamie,
    I know. I never would have thought it would help that much. Can’t to hear what you learn in your class :o)

3. I read sections out loud. I wish I had the time and throat to read the whole thing out loud. My throat gets sore after a few pages. It is a great exercise, though.

Hi Eileen,
    Oh I know, my throat was killing me by the end – I broke it up into 2 nights at least :o) I agree it is a good exercise!

5. As I said on one of my blog posts, I not only read the chapters aloud, I often act them out, character by character.

ann

Yup, I read my stuff out loud to the cats. They’re a very good audience, no heckling. 🙂

7. destrella says:

If your voice can take it, reading out loud is great. You can add tone and see if more is needed in some places. Glad your visit with your sister was nice! :O)

8. When in doubt, read a loud. I definitely vote for it.

9. Reading out loud helps so much. I read mine out loud to my daughter. She’s a YA, and she always has great feedback for me.

10. Adam says:

I only do it on particularly tricky passages. The rest is done in the swirling maelstrom of crazy that is my head. 🙂

Adam

11. Melissa says:

I’ve never read my whole WIP aloud before. I’ll have to give it a try.

12. That’s an awesome idea to read it to another person. Like Adam, I read short passages if I’m trying to figure something out, but I’ve yet to read the entire thing out loud.

13. Laura reads everything out loud, but I’m way too lazy. It really does help! The other thing you can do is get a text to speech program on your computer. I’ve heard that writers swear by it.

Ann – Oh act them out! That’s not a bad idea either :o) Thanks!

CR – LOL The kitties are always nearby when I’ve been doing this too :o)

Diane – Thank you it was! Yeah it’s helped with a lot of stuff :o)

LW – It’s a good vote!

Susan – Oh yeah, sounds like what I’ve been doing. I’ll have to do it for all the future novels too!

Adam – I think I have some crazy in mine too! When she’s gone I won’t read the whole thing ;o)

Melissa – Definitely! Let me know how it goes :o)

Mel – Sure, why not? Give it a try, I bet Owen would like that ;o)

Lisa – Yeah I’ve tried that, but the default software is kinda creepy! LOL I should pay money for a regular voice huh? So far so good on my end :o)

17. Natalie says:

Yes! One of my favorite revision strategies is to have my husband read the manuscript out loud to me. Then there are two of us there to say, “that sounds dumb,” or “this doesn’t make sense.” I think we read through my last manuscript 2 or 3 times that way.

Hey Natalie! Oh you’re lucky, I could never get my hubs to read mine… LOL Glad I’ve got my sis for that :o) So glad it works for ya!

19. Tom Bailey says:

When I write I do not write I have a recorder and then I have my secretary write for me. That is why I am so limited in the way I write here on blogger.

Reading to kids is one of the greatest gifts for both people involved.

Kindest regards,
    Tom Bailey

20. Tiana Lei says:

I will have to try reading it aloud, I haven’t done it before. I also am revising my NaNo project. I’ve found that I edit best when I have other people read it.

Hi ya Tom!
    I’ve thought about getting a recorder, I just use my phone if I need to. It is a nice thing, reading to kids :o)

Hi Tiana- Welcome! You should try it! Oh you’re revising too, fun fun :o) I do like getting feedback for mine too, it helps for sure :o)

22. Polenth says:

I read out loud sometimes, but I don’t find it that useful. I don’t like spoken language as much though.

Polenth- Thanks and welcome :o) The written word is beautiful. I’m not much for spoken word either, but I do like story time :o)

24. I read a lot of my writing out loud….especially the dialogue scenes, and I’ll find myself making the same mannerisms as my characters! I also “write” out loud…I have a tape recorder that I’ll talk into on my long drives home from work and then go and type it up when I get home. People who drive past me must think I’m nuts!

I’m liking your blog….I just stumbled on it not long ago! 🙂

Rachele

Rachele – Hello! and welcome :o) That’s funny, I think people think that about me anyway, without the recorder…LOL I’ve thought about getting one. Glad that works for you!

Thank you! Checking yours out now :o)

26. Reading out loud is so tremendously helpful. I don’t do it for every word or even chapter but I will read certain sections and boy does it expose all the warts that need to be sliced off! Good for you!

Daisy, Hello and welcome :o) Thank you! I love this “expose all the warts that need to be sliced off!”

I agree it is a great help to hear it out loud :o)