Two Road Diverged in a Yellow Wood…

Hi Everyone~

I’m feeling poetic tonight and one of my fav’s is the thought-provoking poem, The Road Not Taken, by Robert Frost, you can find the full version Here.

What got me thinking about it was a YA book I read recently. It was a good book, but something was missing. It’s as if the choice I thought the author would make, they didn’t.

And.

In my opinion, it would have really made the story that much better. The choice seemed to be screaming at me, so I’m surprised the author didn’t take advantage?

This got me thinking. (Hey. It’s not always a bad thing peeps. Well, sometimes, but I digress.) What if I’m missing that moment in my story?

Are we exhausting all the angles we can to make our stories shine? Or do we take the easy route? I’m not really sure how to answer that. I’d like to think I’m checking out all the angles, but what if I miss something. I was surprised that this author and CP’s etc. didn’t catch this moment, But. I didn’t write it, so maybe it was left out on purpose. I don’t know. It didn’t harm the book, it was great without it, but it just got me thinking about choices.

So, my dear peeps, have you exhausted all the angles in your stories? Have you found something you missed and been like *face palm* why didn’t I see that? This just made it that much better.

Or maybe, that’s what the whole writing process is. Trying to discover the angles you missed in the first draft? You tell me ;o)

I was fortunate enough to win one of the 5 prizes up for grab in Shannon’s 500+ follower contest! Woo Hoo!! Thanks so much Shannon ;o) She has a fantastic blog, Ramblings of a Wannabe Scribe. It’s chocked full of wonderful writerly goodies! Check it ;o)

Welp, I’m going on vacation (Family Trip to Kansas City) for a week and I won’t have my baby (macbook) I know. I’m incredibly sad, but I need to leave it for the hubs (he started a new job and can’t go) I will have my iPod touch and Blackberry so I’ll be checking in, but may not be able to leave any comments, but rest assured I will be reading them ;o)

I’m guest posting this Friday over at Dolly’s fantabulous blog Writer Revealed. She’s totally awesome, and so is her blog! Wanna know why I write YA Paranormal? And maybe some other stuff. Ha. Check it out ;o) I will be posting a link to her blog in a post that I scheduled for Friday too, in case you miss this one. What am I saying… LOL if you’re reading this you didn’t miss it, right? Ha.

Well, take care! I’ll be back later next week ;o) Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do *wink*

Pic courtesy of www.ingramsonline.com/January_2006/woods.jpg

16 Responses to “Two Road Diverged in a Yellow Wood…”

1. Tracy says:

I love that RF poem. I recently had a light bulb moment about the MS I completed and queried last year. I knew all along it wasn’t what people would call high concept, but got lots of good feedback from agents, just no takers. Now I know how to take it to the next level, but the extra twisty element is going to take quite a bit of work to get right! I’m not kicking myself for not thinking of it in the first place though, because if I didn’t have the solid story that I do, I wouldn’t be able to make it work at all.

Have a fun trip!

2. Emily says:

I get stuck while writing sometimes, wondering how I’m going to make a certain element of the plot work. I talk it over with people and a new possibility I can get excited about usually comes to mind. *Hopefully* that plugs any holes readers would see and say, “Why didn’t this happnen?”

3. Love that poem too.

The thing with stories is they can go in SO many directions. One choice may seem like the obvious one to some readers but each experience is different.

Just like life. The angles are endless.

Enjoy KC!

4. congrats on your win! enjoy your vacation!

5. You are seriously coming to KC? You’ll be in my neck of the woods! Anyway, I had an angle that fell right in my lap during my rewrites. I don’t know why I didn’t see it the first time around. I’m dying to know what book you are talking about.

6. Amy Saia says:

Cool, I’ll have to check out the interview. Have fun on your trip!

Interesting thoughts, Erica. For me, if a “road” looks too obvious while I’m writing, I won’t take it, because it’s too obvious (if that makes sense). I normally try to do the unexpected, as long as I can still have the story make sense in the end.

But looking at the story from all angles, even the odd-looking ones is how we find those unexpected turns. And when you find one, there just isn’t any better feeling, IMO. 🙂

Have a great vacation…

8. I love that Frost poem – one of my favourites.

That’s a really good question – I’m going to have to keep that in mind when I’m reading through the ms again!

Great poem. I guess that’s why its good to have crit partners, maybe they can see things you can’t. Good luck with your project. :O)

10. Great picture! Have a lovely trip and best wishes to your hubby on the new job. 🙂

I love Frost’s poem. In my writing I usually try to have my characters follow the road not taken, but it has to stay within the boundaries of the story.

Hope you have a great vacation! 🙂

12. Have a wonderful family vacation!!

13. Tahereh says:

aww beautiful post. i hope you have a fabulous trip, love!

14. Melissa says:

I’m debating this right now with my WIP. I have a feeling I took a wrong turn somewhere, but I’m 48,000 words in and I’m not sure where I need to fix things.

15. Thanks guys. Some interesting thoughts here. I will comment individually when I get back home ;o) Have a great weekend!

I’m having a blast in KC! Susan – look out for me ;o)

16. Tracy – Yay for those wonderful light bulby moments ;o)

Emily – That’s a great idea. I do that too. I have some reader friends who are great for that!

Karen – It’s a great poem right! Very true. Lots of angles ;o)

Terry – Thank you!

Susan – Why yes, I was right there in your woods! Ooo I love when those angles fall in your lap like that!

Amy – Thanks! It was wonderful.

Jamie – That totally makes sense, keep em guessing right? Thanks, it was great ;o)

Jemi – Mine too ;o) Yay!

Diane – Indeed CP’s are essential! Thanks ;o)

Sharon – Thank you ;o)

CR – That makes total sense. Thank you!

Ms. J – Thank you!

Tahereh – Thank you ;o)

Melissa – Oh no! Maybe the wrong one will be the right one? Hmm? Good luck ;o)