Transitions. Love ’em? Hate ’em? Have to have ’em.

Hi there!
I hope everyone is doing well and writing a lot ;o)

I’ve been working on the revision of my WIP, Believe, and it’s slow going for sure. I’ve run across some areas that have followed me around like lost kids.

Transitions.

Ugh.

Basically, how you get to where you need to be in order for the story to make sense. Bad ones can kill your story, good ones make it shine. Mediocre ones are forgettable. Right now, in some parts I’m lacking them altogether. I’ve also realized I need to add in some extra chapters and have been staring at a blank screen all night. If I knew a good transition I could be clicking away at my keys… *thinking* yep. I got nothing.

So. I’m curious. How do you do transitions? Do they come magically (and if they do I envy you) or do you have to work at them?

Over the weekend, I read SOME GIRLS ARE by Courtney Summers on Saturday (yeah in like 4 hours) it was that good. If you’re into edgy YA, this is the one for you. I LOVED it. Her voice is brilliant. She has a way of making you really feel empathy for the MC in situations I might not normally. This isn’t an official review, I just wanted to tell everyone how great it was. I can’t wait to read CRACKED UP TO BE!

Ooo. I bet you thought I was done. See what having NO TRANSITIONS does!

I have some exciting news, (like that transition there?) Sandy Shin Super writer and sketcher has a fantabulous blog! That’s not all. I recently won a super awesome contest on her blog where Sandy herself is going to sketch my MC, Snow!! Actually, there were 5 winners, Yay! You have to see the sketch she did already. Just clicky there on that link with her name and visit. It’s wonderful. I just want to thank Sandy! I’m excited to see the sketch and with her permission I’ll show it to you ;o)

Have a great week! Do something fun ;o) Happy writing!

picture courtesy of www.iusb.edu/~cted/Images/career_transitions.gif

16 Responses to “Transitions. Love ’em? Hate ’em? Have to have ’em.”

1. Sandy Shin says:

Like you, I loathe transitions. I tend to ramble in them and ultimately weigh down the story. I’m trying to cut down the number and length of transitions in my ms.

Good luck with yours!

2. Adam says:

Mine come magically.

*Ducks Erica’s shoe*

Don’t hate me! 😀

Adam

Can’t wait to see the sketch. Super exciting!!! :O)

4. Sandy – Ah, that’s a tough one ;o) LOL Thanks, hey good luck with yours too!

Adam – Aw. *takes shoe back and sticks on foot* I could never hate you dear one ;o) I’m so glad you don’t have this problem ;o)

Diane – I know! Me too. I’m excited too ;o)

5. Tahereh says:

haha! great post, and so true. thanks for the examples 😀

and congrats on winning the sketches! Sandy is so FABULOUSLY TALENTED.

6. Adam says:

Erica – I make up for it with problems in other areas of writing. 😀

Adam

7. Tahereh – Thanks ;o) Anytime! Thank you, I can’t wait to see it! I agree, she’s uber talented!

Adam – Aw, I doubt that, but it’s still good to know you’re not perfect… LOL ;o)

8. Dolly says:

Some come naturally perfect, but others I have to work on real hard. Still working out on the whole process thing.

Ooh that’s exciting about the sketch. I am looking forward to seeing it.

9. Well at least you have some that are good. The process is the hard part isn’t it? I know! I can’t wait ;o)

10. Melissa says:

I haven’t had any problems with transitions so far. But who knows…it could give me a lot of trouble in my next chapter:)

11. Sandy’s sketches are awesome!

If a transition’s bugging me, it makes me wonder if I need that scene at all, or if the story would be better with *** and then start “Three days later…” or something along those lines.

It all depends on the situation though. Good luck!

12. Melissa – Yay! That rocks ;o) Oh. now don’t say that!!

Jemi – I can’t wait to see it! Ya know, that’s a fabulous point. I may have to think about that ;o) Thank you!

13. I’m comfortable with transitions. Sometimes I have to add more–or make them more subtle–to connect or disconnect ideas on a paragraph, page, or chapter.

14. Medeia – You’re so lucky!! That’s a hard one for me ;o)

15. Nishant – Thank you!