An Author’s Tale
It all began way back in 1983, when my mother gave birth to me in a hospital near the conurbation of Manchester. It took some time for me t–“
Bah, I ran out. Lemme try that again… “I’m a sarcastic writer and gamer geek, with a penchant for music, reading and wearing hats while I edit.”
2. You have some fascinating characters in your book, A REAPER’S TALE, how do you come up with them? Are they like you? Someone you know? We want the deets!
Most of the time I sit down and think, “What kind of character do I want? Serious, silly, kickass, wimpy?” and then start to mold the new character out of brainmatter and double-sided tape. Occasionally, I’ll consciously make a character that’s an amalgam of other characters from books, TV and other mediums, but most are the brain ‘n tape thing. I try to avoid consciously using friends and family, but sometimes they inspire dialogue.
3. You have an awesome blog, “Editing Hat.” How long have you been blogging? Have you learned anything in particular?
Thanks! I’ve been blogging for a few years now, and what I’ve learned could probably be written on the back of a matchbox. Still, let’s have a go…
A – Keep the topics light and short!
B – Be active in your comments section on every post.
C – Be nice and approachable!
D- Don’t preach. No one cares.
4. Can you show us a sentence from your very first WIP? Do you still have it?
I’m actually working on editing and rewriting my first WIP as we speak. I overwrote the first draft with the second (I’m now on the third), but I have a print out somewhere… Lemme find…
*Scrabbles about* Aha! Here’s the very first line:
“Garett picked himself up off the floor and knocked the dust off his clothing.”
(The line is now much revised, and is now the second scene instead of the first.)
Okay, now we get serious…
4. What do you have in your living room? (What’s in a living room tells us a lot about someone…)
A coffee table, a TV, an oversized plaster mantlepiece (with small fire), two sofas, one mismatched chair, two dog beds and two dogs, one daft, one dopey. 😉 LOL (me too)
5. What did you wanna be when you grew up?
An archaeologist. Or a geologist. I wasn’t fussed as to which.
6. Scary Movie or Romantic Comedy and why.
I dislike both, but I’ll go with the romcom, as I love any media that can make me laugh, and I REALLY dislike horror. *shudder*
7. Favorite book, movie, dessert
Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett (hilarious), Payback (Mel Gibson), aaaaaaand… Cake (any)!
8. If you met your idol what would you say?
A. What the? You look different in person
B. Bloody Hell, I thought you were dead. Am I dead?
C. I love you, I love you, I love you.
D. ‘ello, I’m Adam and you are awesome.
E. Other (Erica doesn’t know me as well as she thinks she does, Ha)
Probably D, though if they were dead, it’d be B. 😉
9. What’s your next book about? A sequel to A REAPER’S TALE?
I have two drafts that need editing and subbing. One is indeed the sequel to A Reaper’s Tale (longer, better, dafter), and the other is my first ever WIP. It’s a dark fantasy currently titled Solus.
10. What’s an ideal date for you? No not the number…. LOL
Bah, you stole my joke!
An ideal date would be a night curled up on the sofa with my fiancee, just chatting and cuddling. Dull, I know, but it’s what I want, durn it!
Not dull at all! Aww. You guys have such a great love story!
11. Any pearls of wisdom to bestow?
“Never sit down with a light bulb in your back pocket.” Unless you meant writing related, in which case, “Never sit down to write with a light bulb in your back pocket.”