The wonderful and talented Elana Johnson has a fantastic post on what to blog about. Actually, there’s a whole week of posts that are fantastic, in fact two other bloggers have also taken on the subject; the uber awesome Jennifer Daiker & Alex Cavanaugh. Check it out, seriously good stuff on all their blogs. Elana also wants to see how different people post about one topic. I signed up.
- We use our voice, we make sure we know all the in’s and out’s of our characters.
- We make sure they are Authentic. It’s next to impossible to have a compelling character if he/she is not authentic. So how do we make our characters authentic then?
- We make sure every decision that our characters make are true to who they are and true to their pasts. This includes the face scrunches, dialogue, actions, internal monologue. The whole shebang, as it were.
- I Empathize. I put myself in my characters’ shoes. If I were them in this particular situation, what would I do. I take in account their background, beliefs, ideas and I make a decision based on that. I always make sure it furthers the plot, too.
- I write through it. If I don’t think the character is right, or something isn’t sitting well with me about them, I just keep going until it is.
- Or I write a dinner scene with all the characters and see what happens. This way I see who shines, who becomes a raging alcoholic, who starts to hum songs from Glee. Recently, that’s how I figured out I had one too many characters. I’m in the process of combining 2 into 1. And you know what? My story is better for it.
That’s my take on it ;o) What do you think? How do you get your characters to be compelling?
Wait.. there’s more!!
I knew it would happen one day. I’m in two places at once. I know. I bet you didn’t think it was possible without some sort of science experiment. The wonderful Dolly over at Writer Revealed invited me to share my writing journey! It’s filled with government conspiracies and alien abductions… don’t believe me? Check it out! Ha! See what I did there. Dolly, has a fantastic blog. Stay a while, check out the others in the series, too!
I hope I haven’t lost you yet. I know this post is long. We’re almost done, I promise!
I’ve made it to 200 followers! THANK YOU ALL! Wanna enter for a chance to win *80’s candy, a $10 B & N Gift Card, a 50 books to read before you die bookmark, a book of opening lines and LINGER by Maggie Stiefvater? Check it out Here! Yes, there’s a Vlog too, so you can see me make a fool of myself, oh and meet my kitty Zeus, too!
That’s about it. Hope you have a great weekend!
*candy not from actual 1980’s.
**photo taken by me of Mackinac Bridge on a beautiful September day