The Fun ‘o NaNo & An Anomaly

Hi Everyone!
Oh wow, it’s been forever! I’m so sorry. I sure did miss you all! I hope all my American friends had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday, and I hope everyone else had a fabulous week ;o)

As you can see from the banner to my left over there, I have completed my second NaNoWriMo. It was pretty friggen awesome. In fact, I completed it 8 days early… I know. I couldn’t believe it either. Ha.

I have to give super awesome shout outs to my writing buddies on twitter that kept me sane and on task. They are all AWESOME. @ShelleyWaters, @CA_Marshall @brendadrake @jabrockmole @AMWernke @flamingo1325. I could NOT have reached my goal without them, and they made it so very much fun! Also to @lkgg, for her daily words of encouragement. If you’re on twitter, follow these awesome peeps!

So. I learned a lot this year, a lot more than last, I think… Wanna know what?

Okay. I’ll make a list. I know you like those ;o)

1. Even with an outline, I will still end up pantsing about 80% of the story.
  2. If I’m not shoving my characters in a closet (as in my first NaNo) I’m having them kidnapped and injured
  3. I will always have a character that doesn’t like bugs
  4. Also, at least one character will talk to a spider at some point
  5. No matter how dreary the situation, my characters will find a way to make a joke
  6. I love writing the evil side of a character, sometimes more than the good side
  7. I suck at endings
  8. I try to put too many twists into a story, need to figure out a few and maximize them.
  9. I love NaNo and will always do it
  10. I’m lucky to have such wonderful friends and family who support my dream

So. There ya have it. Oh, you wanna a little taste of ANOMALY? Okay ;o)

Excerpt from CH 3

The ocean’s white tips curled around the blue water with ease. Like it had always been that way, like the world had always had sprawling waters. I felt stupid for worrying about him and what he may do to me in a dark alley.
He crouched down and took some of the small rocks in his hands. He tossed them around in his hand before throwing them into the sea.

“I come up here every time I come to town. It’s so peaceful. I almost forget what my future will hold.” His face looked contemplative, like he was searching for an answer to a question no one knew.

But he did know. So did I. We were stuck here.

Forever.

Living amongst killers and thieves. But that’s what we would have become, right? The scans are supposed to determine who’s going to be bad, who’s going to kill someone someday. And apparently the two of us were destined for that, somehow.

Excerpt from CH. 26

“Are you kidding me?”

“I have a slinky dress in my bag, if you put it on and act lost, we might have a chance.” She paused, tapping her finger on her lip. I’d never noticed how plump they were naturally. “Act drunk too.”

I shook my head. “Nuh uh. I’m not doing this.”

She grabbed a black dress from her bag that looked like underwear and threw it at my face. “Here,” she said.

I grabbed it and held it up. There was nothing to it. “This isn’t a dress. It’s a bra with wings.” I lowered it to glare at her. “Why can’t you do it?”
***

So. All you NaNoers out there! How’d it go? Did you love it, hate it. What did you learn? And for the non-NaNoers, whatcha been up to?

I’ll try to get back to a more normal schedule for blogging. I know I’ve been supremely awful as of late. I hope you are all doing well!

Have a fantastic week ;o)

<3 Er

27 Responses to “The Fun ‘o NaNo & An Anomaly”

1. Natalie says:

Congratulations! I am in awe of all you NaNoers. 50,000 words in a month is insane and very, very cool.

Your black dress scene is great.

This has been a good writing month for me too. I did’t do NaNo, but AI did write about 15,000 words, which is good for me. 🙂

2. Dolly says:

YAY!!! Congratulations! And cool things you have learned along the way. Characters who hate bugs – well good for them. They are clearly intelligent people 😉

Congrats and early too! Hope you had a great holiday!!! :O)

4. That is awesome! You did a great job.
    🙂

5. Thanks so much everyone ;o)

Dolly – Eww bugs! LOL

6. JEFritz says:

Congrats on finishing! I really enjoyed the push NaNo gave me. I think it helped me through part of the story when I was considering giving up. I guess the biggest thing about NaNo is it does different things for different people.

And your book sounds interesting. I love exploring the evil side of characters. It’s always more fun than the good 🙂

Congrats on finishing early, that’s awesome! It’s always great to have supporting writing buddies, isn’t it?

The big thing I noticed in my NaNo this year was that the doctor character seemed to use sedatives as a cure-all. Almost every chapter she seemed to be giving someone a sedative! 🙂

Loved the excerpts!

8. 8 days early is huge!! Congrats 🙂

I finished earlier today and have been happy dancing ever since.

I love that you have characters who talk to spiders!!

9. Way to go Erica! all you NaNo’s inspire me!

10. Congrats on finishing NaNoWriMo!

11. Meika says:

Congrats!! I’m lagging pretty far behind on my novel, but I’m determined!!

12. Congrats to you, what a commitment.

13. Thank you so much everyone!!

14. much <3 right back to ya!

15. LMAO at the “bra with wings” Congrats on your NaNo win and I loved your list. Lists rock!

16. Congrats on finishing! Love the snippets.

17. Lola Sharp says:

CONGRATS!
    I watched your (FAST) progress on my Buddy list, and had to work hard to keep up with you. Well done!

LOVE the excerpt… A bra with wings!!! Brilliant. 🙂

18. Congratulations, Erica! Way to go! I had a blast during our NaNo wars and can’t wait to start the revision wars! 😀

19. Thanks so much everyone! I hope you all have a wonderful rest of the week ;o)

20. I love the excerpts! Knowing the little bits I know from our writing sessions I’m even more excited to read it!

That’s so funny the things you’ve noticed you put in all your novels. I’ll have to think of what things I do with each of my stories.

21. Congrats on finishing NaNo! Love your list of what you do and don’t do in your writing. Makes me think about my own. . .

22. Congratulations on your finish, Erica! Very exciting, indeed! And your excerpts are very engrossing! I love the sci-fi-ish/fantasy premise. A scan that predicts who they become? Very cool. I also think it’s neat that you’ve been able to identify certain traits you see in all your work. Your readers will see it too and come to identify you with those traits. That’s pure awesome. So is “a bra with wings.” Ha!

23. Congrats on the work and you have wonderful excerpts. Have a great weekend.

24. Congratulations!! I finished in just the nick of time. I had plans that night and hit just over 50k when I had to leave. It was hilarious and frustrating seeing as I wasn’t finished with my scene or the novel. LOL!

I failed last year but I hope to continue to win every year from now on or get published. 😀

25. Congratulations! And WOW, eight days early? I’ve never heard of that happening!

I gave you and the other Sparkly Winners a shout-out at The Magic Nutshell.

26. xoxo says:

That awesome glad to hear it! And what a little is kidnapping, injuring and stuffing in closets between friends, right?? 😛

Xoxo

P.s
    Your story sounds pretty cool where can I read the whole thing??

27. Belated congratulations! I love your list. Very fun. And sticking characters in a closet sounds like a good time to me!